Sunday Sampler

HONEST.

I will start training again.

October 1st. That is my GO date to start (re)building some base for my IMMT training.  Until then, here is a sampler of my weekend:

Common Ground Fair

I went to the Common Ground Fair this weekend with every intention of making it an entire post.  The fair is really fun, diverse, and unique.  It draws Maine entrepreneurs along with Maine artists, artisans, farmers, and food all produced in Maine.

The other neat thing is that the food vendors there are required to use organic, Maine-grown foods when available.   So the lemons for the lemon-aid I got were obviously not from Maine, but the honey in that lemon-aid was.

Anyway, the food at this fair is notoriously good.

I brought my camera with every intention of taking lots of pictures of all of my favorite things at the fair.  Things like: the amazing goods produced by the Maine Indian Basket Makers Alliance, the Farmer’s Market, the working dog demonstrations, the Maine Marketplace, and so much more.

I was ready to take all kinds of pictures for my blog to share with everyone.

Then I found the sausage.

Let me present you with my only two fair pictures of the day:

Common Ground Fair Food

Happy about the sausage. Snort.

Common Ground Country Fair

Yeah, it was good enough to take a picture of

SO…you will have to trust me that there was also about 25 healthy vegetarian options at the food court.  And that there was more at the Common Ground Fair than Maine made and grown sausage and peppers.

The Dog is My Co-pilot

Porter dog

Can we stop at the drive-thru?

You didn’t think I could make it through a post with out at least 1 Porter picture, did you?

He is getting so grown up.  Here he is in a sit stay:

Porter the Bernese Mountain Dog

Porter is growing up!

He is learning so fast and is so sweet and smart!  I think he is going to be a most excellent Therapy Dog (working with me visiting sick children and adults) when he grows up.

Garden

Well, I completely ignored my garden this year.  It was to the point I was a little embarrassed when people wanted to go look at it because it was so overgrown with weeds.  Before I started training for Ironman, I had a fabulously well tended and planned garden.  This year I just threw a bunch of stuff in the ground and let it fend for itself, all Darwin-like.

So I went outside today with fairly low expectations for getting much from the garden.  I came back with quite a bit more than I expected.

Just a few of the squash

I had another load about this size of squash.

Something kind of funny happened with the squash – I planted butternut and spaghetti squash, and a few of them fruited as a hybrid of the two.  I can’t wait to try them out.

That is 50 bulbs of garlic

I LOVE growing garlic.

Obviously.

Email me (manfarr1974(at)yahoo(dot)com) if anyone wants me to send you some to try and plant (you plant these in the fall), mine is more of a cold hearty type, so if you are in a warmer place you are welcome to give it a go, I just don’t know what it will do.

1 of 2 bags of onions...

I LITERALLY had to pick through the weeds to get these onions.  I think I counted 40?

Anyone can grow orange carrots

That photo is only a handful out of the bucket of carrots I picked.

Oh. Yeah, I know, they are not orange.  I like to grow FEDCO‘s Over the Rainbow Mix because people always look at them after pulling one out and shout “But…its PURPLE!”

Anyway, I just think they are fun, and when John’s niece’s and nephews come and pull carrots, they have fun not knowing what color they are going to get.

I would love some suggestions as ways to prepare these carrots because there are so many of them I am just not sure what to do with them all right now.

Anyway, that is all I have for now, I hope you all had a fabulous weekend!

23 Responses to Sunday Sampler

1. misszippy1 says:

Wow–what a bounty of good stuff you have! I love multi-colored carrots and so good for you. The fair sounds really great too. You’ve just got too much goin’ on right now to train. ; )

Love, love, love that dog!

2. Porter might be one of the cutest dogs I’ve seen. He’s such a good pup. Great work on your garden. You really seem to know what you’re doing! I like them rainbow carrots better!

3. shannon says:

oh my, how about send some my way? :) love the bounty! and look how big porter is getting!

with the carrots: make carrot cake, roast them with coconut oil, ooh, i just did an indian dessert that stars carrots! http://bit.ly/pa81JV

He is getting so big!!!

Yeah, Oct 1 is my restart date as well. We’ll both go, “Where did all of my fitness go?!?!? And where did these 10 lbs come from ?!?!?” haha!

soooooo, if you need to get rid of some garlic and onion, I have a plan. Let’s juice it and ferment it and distill it. Onion & Garlic Whiskey anyone?…….gross…..

Love the puppy pix!!!!

It should be a rule that all posts include a pic (or six) of the Porter.

That is a lot of garlic!

Awesome haul. I want to hear about the squash hybrid! Can you take a pic when you cook it? I’m dying to know if it’s more spaghetti or butternut and how it tastes!

So assuming you don’t eat all these this week, how do you store it all for maximum staying power?

re the carrots? I only like roasted carrots, but I’m sure you know how to make them. Oh and I also will mash them and put a layer on Shepherd’s Pie. After the beef, before the taters.

“Then I found the sausage.” – TWSS!

I didn’t know you did therapy dog work! We used to do that officially with our dog growing up. We’d take him to nursing homes. He loved the attention he got.

Do you think the garlic would grow in Michigan??? If so, I’m game to try some. So you just plant the bulb instead of eating it and it reproduces?? Now that is my kind of gardening.

We tried growing carrots once but they all turned out as baby carrots.

Oh yeah… and Porter… he is growing up so quickly!!! He looks so well behaved though. You must be doing good with your training.

9. Katie says:

I’m really jealous of your garden… my Bronx fire escape just doesn’t cut it! I’ve bought rainbow carrots from the Greenmarket here and I love how all of the colors taste subtley different. We have enjoyed carrots thrown into the bottom of a roasting pan with an actual roast on top (whatever you want – we tend to do it at Thanksgiving with the turkey) and puree some of them into a gravy; my husband likes to boil them and then mash them like potatoes – I think this is kind of weird but probably slightly more nutritious than the real thing; a carrot salad with a vinaigrette and nice shaved slices of carrot is always good and would look stunning with those colors; finally, I like to shred a few up latke style and fry them in cakes in an iron skillet. Enjoy!

10. Kacie says:

Awesome pictures of your goodies! Those are so great!

I love small town fairs, they are the best

My garden didnt give me much of anything, ticks me off

12. Heather says:

Make some garlic, carrot, squash soup!! The colors will be great! Add in some ginger and maybe a chile too…

I’m laughing at Kevin pointing out that you said “and then I found the sausage”. That’s hysterical and I love that it’s the only picture you got. Priorities people! Our fair isn’t as community oriented as yours, but we have horse racing and betting which brings a whole new level of fun! :)

I’m so stinking jealous of your garden. I would totally make carrot cake or even carrot cake muffins (which you can freeze). You could also make a veggie lasagna which would be cool with all the colors of carrots (and some of that garlic and those onions). Great harvest.

And I love me some Porter!

14. Tamara says:

Hey! nice harvest :) Out of curiosity, what kind of onions did you plant?

I didn’t know carrots came in different colors. How cool is that!
    Our soil is too clay-ey so we have to build raised beds for carrots which hasn’t made it to the top of the to do list.
    And the picture of the sausage samich made me drool! Beyond yummy looking!

Porter is very very beautiful, he is a lovely dog.
    Never seen multi-colors carrots.

That’s quite a harvest! Apparently, ignoring the garden is the key to success. ;)

And Porter! What a cutie he is and growing so fast!

18. Big Clyde says:

Hey Caratunk Girl! I am glad to hear that you are starting up your training again this month, though you do more in your downtime than I do in high gear!

I am doing a 31 day challenge for October. Check it out if you want to jump in with some others.

Big Clyde

holy cow, you have quite the green thumb! fall produce is the BEST, I made a butternut squash last night that was bigger than my head. yum.

Wow! I’ve never seen/heard of rainbow carrots before but those look so cool… sort of makes me want to try my hand at planting some!

The fair sounds awesome! Porter really is growing up – keep the pictures coming :)

This is how dumb and un-green-thumbed I am, I didn’t know you could grow carrots which are NOT orange. Do the colored ones taste any different? I think the purple one is pretty cool.

Love Porter sitting with his cute paws on the counsel…so funny!

Welcome to October and training!!! :) Looking forward to your journey – yay!

22. Porter is ADVANCED!! Wow! Therapy dog si so in his future–imagine the lives he will touch!

Look at you growing your veggies!! I recently saw purple peppers.