Random Stuff

I hope you all had a fabulous holiday weekend! I know I did, but right now I am feeling a bit stressed – as if there is not enough time left in the week for me to finish everything I need to get done.

That is why this post is totally random and all over the place.

So I apologize if I haven’t commented on your blogs lately, I have been doing a lot of reading on my google reader at night, just not a lot of commenting this week.  Just know that I am giving you a virtual fist pump as you are working your way into 2012.

Part of what makes this week crazy is that this is my last week at my old job and I am feeling a bit of a time crunch. There is so much to do to close out the projects I have going and bring them to the people who are following me in an understandable fashion.  It is tough picking up where someone left off, so I am hoping that what I leave behind makes some sense.

I have decided to really start watching my diet more closely.  I kind of turned into the Tasmanian Devil over the holidays.

FEED ME

There were just too many goodies and I had no self control.  I went from, “Well, I will have 1…” to “Heck with it. Nummy Nummy Munch Munch Munch Snort…”

I ate like crap.

I find the biggest challenge to eating healthy are the people who eat unhealthily around me.   I am tempted by what they are eating – the pizza (I love pizza), the cheese laden and carb loaded everything, the sweets.  I will do really good at one meal, then lose it at the next.

It isn’t their fault, I am in control of what I eat (you would question that if you saw me snarf down those truffles this weekend) and I can’t blame anyone but myself for my shortcomings on the diet front.

I will be starting a food journal that will help me track what I am eating.  I probably won’t share it here because I figure you don’t want to hear about what I am eating, but I will keep you up to date on the progress.

I am squeezing in my workouts this week, and Sharpie has actually given me a lighter week as a mental break, which is pretty well timed given the travel time I will have this week, although I yearn for the longer workouts.

It is weird that I miss my 8 hour bike rides?

My HR training is going about the same, it is literally the most frustrating thing I have ever done to do something that I used to think was fun.   I get it, there will be payoff, stick it out, trust the process, blah blah blah.

I will stick with it – because I am stubborn like that.   I am just saying, it is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be to train this way, especially in Caratunk, Maine in the winter.   I get cold!

Also Sharpie has been having me do yoga.  I still can’t do pigeon pose without crying, but this week I touched my toes for the first time in a very long time, so I think I am making progress.   I will provide photographic proof.

Maybe.

It is a little embarrassing. I was always that girl who couldn’t reach past her feet on the flex test at school.

My nemesis

Speaking of yoga, I like to provide as many challenges as I can for my coach.  Sharpie and I were talking schedule and stuff.  Here is a sample conversation:

“So we need to get you doing some yoga.  Ideally 2x/week, so get into a yoga class if you can so we are sure you are doing the positions correctly..”

“Yeah…so the closest yoga class is over an hour away.  I have some videos…would those work?”

“Oh.  OK, not ideal, but we can use videos, sure.   But we also need to get your weight program started, where is the closest gym?”

“At the yoga place.”

“OK…and is this near the pool?”

“No, the pool is another 30 minutes from there.”

“Has electricity hit Caratunk yet?”

We both burst out laughing.  Honest, I am not trying to be a pain in the butt.

The good news is that I might be able to start using a neighbors home gym, which is basically like a real gym, but in their barn.   That would make things much more convenient.

I hope you all have a fabulous day!

This entry was posted in FitFluential, random, triathlon and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Random Stuff

1. Jamoosh says:

Yoga and aerobics = things that make me look stupid…

2. Love yoga. One of the best things we can do and I am going to be doing it 1x/week even if coach doesn’t approve. I need a stronger core and flexibility.

On the pizza front do as I have been doing and ordering the section for me cheeseless with tons of veggies. Makes it easier to eat pizza with your peeps that way.

So STOKED for you and your new job.
    Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race recently posted..Two For Tuesday – Black Bean VersionMy Profile

3. priceless convo with MB :) I hope she makes it to Maine and gets the grand tour of Caratunk!!

Hope your last week goes well~enjoy your training!!
    MilesMusclesMom recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

Holy Crap, training in a barn would be so awesome! I am so picturing the training montage from Rocky IV — you need to be playing that music in the barn. “Hearts on Fiiirrree…”
    Jeff recently posted..Stuff …My Profile

5. Ahh, Maine. Where life is good and everything is 1 hour away. Even here in Boothbay, I still have to drive. Well, not for the pool or yoga, but for everything else!

Good luck with your new job!
    Michelle Bouchard recently posted..HBBC catch upMy Profile

6. Joel says:

And here I misread what you wrote and thought you said Sharpie told you to do Yoda! Now THAT would have been an EPIC Star Wars movie….
    Joel recently posted..A LONG Run to Fight CancerMy Profile

I can totally empathize about eating so many unhealthy things during the holidays… I ate more cookies, candies, and unhealthy snacky things than I can count, just because they were there. I guess it’s more motivation to get my butt in gear come January!

Good luck wrapping up everything at your old job!
    Anne-Marie recently posted..Holiday Beatings: A Cyclocross Race StoryMy Profile

8. Katie says:

This is why I love reading you… everything is 60 to 90 minutes away but you still commit and get it done. You are going to rock the new job transition (T4?) so hard!

“Has electricity hit Caratunk yet?”

Heeeeeeeeeeeeee :)
    Jon recently posted..Random Friday FactsMy Profile

10. Carole says:

You are such a rock star, Mandilicious.

We’ll get you to the promised land. Believe…

xoxo.
    Carole recently posted..News Update!!!My Profile

11. I hated the flex test too! It hurts so bad! I don’t even think I can touch my toes right now. Maybe I need some yoga.
    Matthew Smith recently posted..Random New ThingsMy Profile

12. Christina says:

I was crazy flexible as a young person – 14 years of ballet and a few decades younger. But I had a car accident in college where I was given 2 mo of bedrest (and another 10 weeks in my late 20′s due to preterm labor with my first pg) and I am now only slightly more flexible than my husband who has never in his life touched his toes. Ugh! So it is yet another area for us all to work on!
    Christina recently posted..MMNW Holiday VictoryMy Profile

13. I love yoga. Finally going back for another class tonight. I only used videos for the first 3 years I practiced, but then Discovery Health stopped airing the Namaste Yoga tv shows and I’ve been boned since then. And don’t even get me started on the holiday eating. holy crap it’s been bad. And so, so good.
    Carolina John recently posted..Crazy Holiday TimesMy Profile

14. Beth says:

Yoga is SO good when you do it regularly, but so difficult to ft into a busy schedule. good luck with the yoga, weights, food journal in, hr training, and new job! Yikes!
    Beth recently posted..Three Things ThursdayMy Profile

“It is weird that I miss my 8 hour bike rides?” No!!!! I miss my rides so much. I had such great rides this summer. I want them to continue but the weather will not cooperate! Boo!

Good luck with your food journal. They really do help!

Having Heather diet as I do… makes life AWESOME! I couldn’t do it if she didn’t do it. Good luck, I have no pointers for you except, you are screwed ;) haha (joking, well, not really).

HR training will pay off. You just have to get back to “running fit” for you to see the payoffs, that’s all.

Loved the carole convo, seriously, she is a RIOT!

As for yoga, :) I HEART YOGA! I will try to burn you P90X YogaX… by far the BEST YOGA DVD I HAVE EVER EVER EVER DONE. Honestly, it is FABOLOUS (Fabolous was expressed in a completely homosexual tone when I wrote it… so make sure you re-read that statement as it was intended… ok?)
    Matt Oravec recently posted..What I find interesting about trainingMy Profile

17. Karen says:

I might have to fight you for the “most inflxible” title! ha ha… Seriously, I need to start doing yoga, especially if you are seeing results, that gives me hope!
    Karen recently posted..Here they come, 2012 Fitness Trends…My Profile

So I’ve been eating everything that isn’t nailed down (and honestly, what food is ever nailed down?) I should really start cleaning up to and keep saying “just get through this week”. Want to be accountability peps… send me your journal and I’ll send you mine and I won’t criticize you if you cheat now and then! :)

Yay for touching your toes! I always say that I can’t touch mine because I have long legs. Ha… as if that was really the excuse!

Hugs to getting through this week! You can do it! I’m here if you need to just escape for a minute! :)

grrrr… I left a comment and it’s gone! Anyway, the gist was – I eat everything that isn’t nailed down (and honestly, what IS actually nailed down in terms of food?). I’ll keep you accountable if you’ll do the same for me.

Yay for touching your toes. I use the excuse that I can’t because I have long legs. As if that was really an excuse, but whatever!

Good luck with this week. Call if you need to talk! :)

20. I’ve gone crazy this holiday too with all the sweets! I think my big problem was that although I didn’t deprive myself of sweets during IMAZ training, I really didn’t eat a lot of it. So now, with it ALL around, I’m going crazy gobbling it up..ugh!

I LOVE yoga! It is amazing! I have been doing it for years, but I really found the most benefits from it while I was training for IMAZ. It is great for balance, stability, core strength, and is also just a nice change from the swim/bike/run training.
    Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) recently posted..A week in review and other things tooMy Profile

Yoga is awesome! I have been slacking, but I can totally see a difference in my training/recovery when I do it.

Hopefully your neighbor lets you use their gym. That would be awesome.
    Kevin recently posted.."Seven" – Dave Matthews BandMy Profile

I’m glad I’m not alone in the flexiblity dept. I’m only 5’4″ so it’s not like my feet are *that* far from my hands but I can still barely touch my toes!

And yes, yoga is fun, but I only do it at home. My lack of coordination and inability to bend would be too much distraction for the other folks in class.
    Tracy recently posted..Distracted swimmingMy Profile