Night Moves

Sooooo…It has been a while, huh?

I could make up lots of really good excuses as to why I haven’t blogged since January 1.   No computer, new job, busy, busy, busy.

I might be a little (a lot) behind in reading my favorite (your) blogs.

As in I haven’t really read one for 3 weeks.  Trust me, it’s not you, it’s me.

But I am back.  For good this time.

I love my new job

Forester

On the job

It is going to be a real challenge and I work with some outstanding people in a program that I really believe is great for private landowners in Maine.   I have a lot to learn but am looking forward to the challenge.

This new job has also forced me to juggle my schedule in my Ironman training.  I need to leave the house for work by around 6am most mornings and I get home sometime after 6pm most nights.

What this means for my training is…if I run in the morning, it is dark.  If I run after work…it is dark.

And since it is dark, I am running on the Caratunk Treadmill.  No this isn’t a real treadmill, I am allergic to those things.

I like to get my workouts done in the morning so that they are not taken away from me later.  It seems in the afternoon and evening, things come up, people come over, and my workout gets pushed to the side.

So I need to get used to the 4am wake-up (I usually am up at 5am).  I need to get used to running in the dark cold mornings (or dark, cold nights) again.

Out comes the reflective gear, the headlamp.

reflective gear

On the run

The 4am wake-up.

That one kind of kills me so I feel the need to mention it twice.  5 am isn’t a problem for me, but for some reason, 4am seems to sting a little.  But if I want to be ready for Ironman Mont Tremblant, I need to make some sacrifices, the 4am wake-up is just one of them.

This year most of the streetlights on the Caratunk Treadmill have gone out.  Or even better, they kind of flicker and then go out as you run underneath them.

Which is…Awesome when you have an over active imagination and the coyotes are howling.

But my headlamp works pretty well, and I am a firm believer that you can dress for any weather (even the -15 we had this morning! Brr)

And as I do my laps back and forth under the lights my head clears a little and I feel more ready for the day to come.

This entry was posted in Caratunk Treadmill and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Night Moves

1. Sharpie says:

Welcome back, girlie! We missed you.
    Be careful out there running in the DARK!!
    xoxo.

2. You’re awesome to be so devoted to Ironman to get out there at the butt crack of dawn to get your workouts in. Not only that, but it’s freezing cold! You’re incredible. Way to go!

It sounds like your job, although taking most of your day, is a good thing that you are enjoying. That’s great!!!
    Matthew Smith recently posted..Stop the Randomness!My Profile

3. I’ve missed your posts, glad you are back. Sounds like you are really busy with your new job, glad you like it though. We still need to get together for a run sometime!
    Michelle Bouchard recently posted..Wednesday listiclesMy Profile

You win the badass award for the like the next 5 centuries.

A) 4AM. Damn…
    B) -15. Wicked damn….
    C) Did you really write 4AM?!?!?

You. are. awesome!
    Jon recently posted..Oh! Forgot to mention, I’m racing a Half Marathon tomorrow.My Profile

Okay so I’m with Jon on this…

I don’t function in the 4 o’clock hour. Hell, I don’t function until about 10 am to be honest.

I don’t run if it’s under 20. And even under 30 is pushing it. A lot. You are my hero.

I’ve missed your blogs, but I know that you have some super great stuff going on so it’s all good. :)

6. Jeff Irvin says:

Welcome Back!

Now quit posting and get to training (-:
    Jeff Irvin recently posted..Sh*t Cyclists Say …My Profile

I was impressed with your dedication before but I am even more impressed now. 4am is a hard hour to get up at . Keep up the great work!
    Christi recently posted..Friday LyricsMy Profile

So glad to hear you like your new job! I am sooo behind in the blog world too and haven’t blogged since 2011 (eek!).

You’re such an inspiration with getting up soooo early and running in that crazy cold weather! I’ve yet to do a pre-5am wake-up for anything other than a race.

You’re going to do awesome at IMMT with dedication like this! :)
    Anne-Marie recently posted..2011 in review!My Profile

9. OK, so your position is some movement is better than none. OK.

I have to think about this, but I might actually prefer no movement to limited movement (e.g. treadmill to a track). I’ll have to think about it.
    Patrick Mahoney recently posted..Oceanside Training Diary – Week 6My Profile

So glad to see you back!! Ok so I need to start waking up at 5am to get my workouts done.. if you can get up at 4, I can surely get up at 5 right? Please be safe out there.
    adena recently posted..RandomsMy Profile

Ugh… I am probably one of the few people that can relate to your wake up statement.

I was just telling Heather the other day that getting up at midnight the last 10 yrs or so to go plowing was fine. Getting up at 5 every morning to ride my bike is fine. Getting up at 4 or 4:07am (trust me those 7 minutes MEAN THE WORLD to me) IS KILLING ME! I reduced my plowing amount to function a bit better this winter… turns out I am better off not sleeping than getting the amount I am.

Hang in there. It is getting lighter out longer EVERY DAY NOW :) WOOHOO!

I have a porter puppy picture in my latest blog post. He is the Blue Balls and Glass Cutters mascot! Honestly thought you were there when I saw Toby romping haha.
    Matt Oravec recently posted..Blue Balls and Glass Cutters 5k Race Report 2012My Profile

Sometimes I think that training for an Ironman is a full time job. 4 am is tough but I think it shows how much the end game is worth it! You look happy!
    Coy Martinez recently posted..NFL Sunday, best in pajamasMy Profile

13. Heather O says:

Girl, you are CRAZY!!! I wish I had that kind of dedication! I don’t wake up early for ANYTHING, especially if the thermometer reads -15°!

Congrats on the new job! Hopefully Porter gets to tag along with you ;)

14. Natasha says:

That’s awesome that you love your new job that is sometimes hard to find in life! I can’t do morning workouts I hate them, unless I’m absolutely forced too. But I totally get where you are coming from, good luck!!
    Natasha recently posted..Attack of the tumbleweeds!My Profile

Your devotion is crazy! I don’t do early mornings. I can do the cold, but early morning is a no go.

Glad to hear the new job is going well!

PS: It sounds like it is time to get a http://www.ledlightvest.com :)
    Kevin recently posted..What’s Going On WednesdayMy Profile

16. Jamie says:

Just when I was starting to think that Google Reader ate your feed… there you are!

And I hate treadmills as much as the next guy, but DAMN. -15? Yeah. I’d invest in one of those things real fast.
    Jamie recently posted..When I’m 70My Profile

17. Christina says:

I live in the south and to me 30 degrees feels like -30 F. I look like a polar bear with the million layers of clothes I wear to keep warm during our “winters” haha. I can’t possibly imagine -15 at 4 AM!!! You are incredible!!

18. Bob says:

Thought I would pop on over to WP to see whats going on..
    New Job? With hard hat and all, are we going to see you on an upcoming episode of “AX MEN”??
    Bob recently posted..11 THINGSMy Profile

Yay! So glad to hear that the new job is a keeper! :)

Getting up at 4 a.m. to run in -15 degree weather?? You deserve a big honking medal for that!
    Jennie recently posted..New Life Chapter… Aaannnddd GO!My Profile

20. DRog says:

Hiya Mandy!
    4am it is!
    Congrats on the new job!
    stick with the really early thing for 3wks and it will be habit / routine it will get better and better and lets face it…you have an IM to do so you have no choice! thats what Im tellin myself anyway:) love the Caratunk treadmill…forgot about that
    cheers!

D

YAY, you’re back!!
    Um, 4am would probably kill me to get up and run. Thankfully, I’m not allergic to treadmills!

Congrats on the new gig, so happy you are employed again, I know firsthand how stressful that is!!

22. Check you out……

OK, so to help you with the 4am wake-up feel free to tweet me. I’m up at 3am here and am usually awake until 3:45a when I fall back asleep so tweet away and I’ll help you get up and get used to the 4am wake up call.

Digging the hard hate. My latest vlog debuts a hard hat as well.
    Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race recently posted..Frugal Grocer – Week #3My Profile

23. Suzanne says:

Welcome back! Glad to hear you are enjoying your new job!
    Suzanne recently posted..All Things BloggingMy Profile

Welcome back, we missed you.
    Running in the dark has its charm: the lights, the silence, more concentration, the magic shadows ….. I like it.

25. It’s so good to know we’ll be out and about at the same time, training our little butts off!!
    GO CARATUNK GIRL!!!

too bad you did not live closer :( I’d go run in the dark with ya and Lola & Porter could have a party
    MilesMusclesMom recently posted..Stay Pretty & TriSwim SaleMy Profile

26. Rae says:

4am-yikes! I am with you though, Im pretty allergic to the dread, i mean, treadmill. Go get em, Ironman!!