Food Prep

I really love food.  A lot.

I like to joke that the reason I did an Ironman was so that I could eat like a man and not gain weight.  Turns out that when you are no longer in the peak phase of training, you can’t eat like you are.

At least I can’t.

And really, to make the most gains for my efforts, I should really make an effort to eat better anyway.

But pizza is so darn GOOD!!  I really could eat it every single day.  But it isn’t the best thing for you, so I am trying to kick my pizza habit, at least make it something I eat a lot less of at any rate.

I wonder if my doctor could prescribe a patch for that?

Aside: Any of you who suggest that I use “light” (aka gross) cheese or less cheese or swear to me that it is “just as good” without the cheese are infidels and liars.  If I craved sauce and veggies on whole wheat “bread” with a pinch of cheese I wouldn’t have this “pizza weight” problem.

The best way for me to avoid pizza (and other temptations) is to have healthy choices around.  One of my favorite things (of many) that I have learned from Sharpie is to plan and prep meals on the weekend for the upcoming week.

It has been completely awesome for me.  Espeshally with the new job, trying to fit in workouts, Porter time, John time, life, and sleep time.

What is funny is that I knew this was something I SHOULD be doing.  It is so easy to eat crap if you don’t plan things out, but the thought of spending some of my precious weekend on food prep was kind of…well…blah.

That was until Carole kicked me in the butt and said it was time I started doing food prep.  She was right.  Again.

I am not going to lie.  At first it was hard.  It still is a little hard.  But it is becoming something I rely on during the week.

Prepping things once a week makes it easy to fill my lunchbox with healthy choices in the morning and have quick, healthy dinner options ready at night.

Complete random aside: I used to have a Dukes of Hazard lunchbox when I was little.  Where is that thing?  I really wanted to hang out with Bo and Luke (mostly Bo) and ride in the General Lee.  Now I have a boring ole blue lunchbox.  Sigh.

Dukes lunch box

This used to be mine

I usually do my prep on Sunday, and today I made 3 freezer meals for my beloved crockpot.

Mandy and her crockpot

My friend...

I really love my crockpot.  Throw crap in, go away, come home…yummyness.

What I don’t love is trying to do all of that food prep before work so I can throw the goodies into the pot.

Like I have time for that crap after getting up at 4am, running/biking, showering, dressing, eating, brushing teeth, throwing stuff into my boring blue lunchbox, and screaming out the door.

Then of course running back inside to get whatever it is that I forgot.  Beacause there is always something.

OK, so back to food (dinner) prep.  I do not always do the crockpot thing, but today that is what I went for after finding THIS blog post.

The meals were super easy to prep and freeze I did all 3 mentioned on the blog.

Prepped BBQ chix

Ready for the freezer, then the crock pot

Regarding that picture, I ran out of freezer bags, so I used what I had.  This one is for Monday night’s dinner.

I double everything up so that I ended up with 6 meals instead of 3 which means I get to be a little lazy on the prep sometime in the near future.

SWEET.

One more thing.

I need to admit something.

I haven’t been blogging much about my workouts lately because I feel like it would be pretty boring to say “I went for a trainer ride today and watched The Voice” or “I ran back and forth in town today and it was dark and the coyotes howled.”

Repeat.

I feel a little uninspired right now as far as writing goes, so that is part of the reason for my recent smattering of posts that are not swim-bike-run related, or just pictures without much to say.    I have been super busy at work as well (it is a good thing!), and I haven’t had as much time as I would like to catch up on your blogs which often give me inspiration to write and motivation to not hit snooze at 4am (I still do sometimes).

I think I am going to re-load some old posts that I think are good and that some of you might not have had the chance to read yet.

If anyone wants to send me an idea for a blog post, I am open to that as well.  Just click the email button at the top right of my blog under “I am social” or leave a comment.

I hope you all had a great weekend!

This entry was posted in Carole Sharpless, Food Prep and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Food Prep

1. Food prep. The key to a successful eating habit. I don’t necessarily food prep b/c I am fortunate to work from home, but what I do is meal plan and then create a grocery list from that. This works for me because I can spend 20-30 minutes going through cookbooks or my Pinterest account and create the shopping list.

As for pizza without cheese I do that, but not every time. It all depends on where I’m eating the pizza. If I know the place is OK I get it without the cheese. If I know the place is great or a new place I get the cheese.
    Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race recently posted..Before, During And After Fueling For Race DayMy Profile

2. Carole says:

What if you prepped pizza?

Rock on, girl.
    Carole recently posted..Be safe out there!My Profile

3. Michael says:

I have been trying to do this a little more often, but still could do a whole lot more. It does make life so much easier.
    Michael recently posted..My Bloggerversary!My Profile

4. HeatherO says:

Food prep is the best. I too suck at it and would rather spend my time stabbing my eyeballs out, but when I actually get motivated to plan out my week I find that the week is that much less stressful! Good luck with everything! It sounds like you are one busy girl!

We are bike fans of food prep. We usually make meals that serve 4 or 6 so that we end up with 2 or 3 meals worth of food. Sometimes we box it up and put it in the freezer without even putting it on the table.

One of our favorite prep lunches is chicken salad. Super easy to make and you have lunch for the week.

Oh, and I whole heartily agree regarding pizza and “pizza”.
    Kevin recently posted..Foto FridayMy Profile

6. Jeff Irvin says:

Lots going on here Mandy!

You put crap in your crock pot? (in my best Happy Gilmore voice)

Like how Porter time ranked ahead of John time. Annie would agree with this ratio.

I think Daisy Duke was my first love. Not Jessica Simpson from that lame attempt of a movie either.

Did Jason say he is on pinterist? He is such a chick!

Eat as much damn Pizza as you want, just run more and it will all work itself out!
    Jeff Irvin recently posted..A Couple Race Reports and PR’s …My Profile

7. LOVED Dukes of Hazard growing up! Ha ha!

Food prep is great, but it IS a lot of work! I don’t do much of it, but I do make a meal plan every week and pretty much stick to it. And, I tend to make meals we can eat for 2 nights, so it cuts down on the amount of work.

And, I’m all about moderation…eat your pizza…life is too short! :)
    Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) recently posted..Running for SherryMy Profile

8. Christina says:

I would love to see your meal plans as I really flail on this front myself. What can I prepare ahead of time and what is sucky if cut/diced/cooked ahead? I have looked at freezer cooking web sites before and they seem to be long on higher calorie/higher fat things that freeze well. I’ll check out the link you posted though.
    Christina recently posted..Run to Remember Sherry ArnoldMy Profile

9. jennifer says:

oh my god, I think you just made my life easier. Thank you. I eat kinda crappy because I never make time to actually cook dinner. Such a pain. I didn’t realize slow cookers were THAT EASY. Holy cow. I’m going buy one and make those three recipes!! If you find more please post them!
    jennifer recently posted..First trail runMy Profile

The government classifies pizza as a veggie, just saying
    BDD recently posted..11 Things x 4My Profile

11. I’ve got to make some adjustments to my eating as well. This is not good.

We do make healthy pizzas a lot, homemade crust and everything. it’s delish.
    Carolina John recently posted..Run for the RosesMy Profile

12. Suzanne says:

I’m terrible at food prep and I need to do a better job of planning our meals and using our crockpot. We always love the things we make in it but then we go weeks without using it again.

Hope you have a great week!
    Suzanne recently posted..Tuesday TidbitsMy Profile

I hear ya on the eating like your training… You coach is super smart! I tried doing that a little the last couple weeks, and it’s helped a lot!

I also totally know the feeling of the “boring” posts. But, we love to read them anyway! Keep them coming!
    Matt Smith recently posted..Zipfizz Product ReviewMy Profile

I saw a nutritionist once. She recommended I try 50% fat cheddar cheese. I melted it. It melted the same way plastic melted. Uuuuummmm??????

How about Pizza one time a week? Moderation is king!

And I have totally been cooking ahead of time, especially for lunch. Dinner? Omelettes baby!!! Quick. Easy. Nutritious.
    Jon recently posted..I Need To Work Harder & THIS Is Why I Have A CoachMy Profile

15. First, happy <3 day to Porter! And, I need to take your cue. We usually do a turkey chili crockpot on the weekend, but I could so a MUCH better job of preparing!
    Jess @ Blonde Ponytail recently posted..Valentine’s Day Workout: "Love" HandlesMy Profile

16. Laima says:

We probably eat too much pizza, but at least we’ve started making it from scratch so we can control what goes in/on top of it.

When I was a kid, I thought it was so cool how they jumped in and out of the General Lee through the window:)
    Laima recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

I have discovered a thing that works for me. I cook up a buncha chicken (or pork)- kinda plain, just bake it. Cook up a bunch of brown rice. Cook up a bunch of whatever veggies I’m feeling. Then I put in each lunchable container, 1/2 cup rice, 3-4 oz of chicken and a whackaveggies. Then I decide, do I want mexican? Yes, then I add salsa and avacado.. oh I want italian, I sprinkle some italian spices, add tomatoes or tomatoe sauce and a sprinkle of cheese. Other things that work well, add goat cheese and balsamic vinegar.. the list goes on. Same easy base but different tastes. TMI!!
    adena recently posted..so I was…My Profile

Pizza without cheese… that’s not pizza… it’s bread and toppings. Yuck!

I love that you are doing food prep. I need to get better at this. Maybe once I get my schedule more organized I will actually do this on Sunday. :)

Pizza is my weakness too. Pizza with cheese of course!
    My dinner this evening? Pizza and pepsi!
    Black Knight recently posted..The End of the GameMy Profile

Listen Mandy. DO NOT GIVE IN! haha. I make healthy gluten free pizzas :) They are yummy and done in 15 min start to finish :)

Ummm, you need real cheese. Fats are good for you. As an ironman you need to replenish the fats.

I will not food prep. I want to eat what I have a taste for each day. I will gladly give up a workout to spend time cooking in the kitchen :)

Keep on rocking girl!
    Matt Oravec recently posted..Metric Century and Weekend RecapMy Profile

I completely agree about how much easier it is to prep food on the weekends! I have a hard time getting motivated to plan for it, buy all the necessary ingredients, and then actually cook, though…

I haven’t been blogging lately either due to lack of time / lack of interesting material to write about. I always like seeing the pictures you have of Porter and all the beautiful Maine scenery!
    Anne-Marie recently posted..2011 in review!My Profile