Reloaded: Hey! I Am Running Here!

This is a blog post from January 2010 – it is one of my favorites – edited it slightly to make it more relevant to what I am training for now.

Unless someone is bleeding, don’t stop me to talk when I am running. I am not sure how I draw people to me when I am bundled up like the kid in Christmas Story waddling out a 6 mile run, but it happens. Here is the latest example:

I am running on Main Street, toward 201. It is -10, and I am just getting “warm.” A car pulls up.

Crap. He wants to talk to me.

It is not that I am anti-social, but as Dustin Hoffman said in Midnight Cowboy, “Hey! I’m running here!” (go ahead, click the link, you know you want to.)

The guy in the car rolls down the window about an inch, probably to keep out the cold.

I struggle with my gloves, pull down my balaclava and say, “Hey,” as I try to keep moving to make it obvious that I am a busy girl this morning.

The man blankly stares at me for a minute, then asks, “Aren’t you cold?”

I think, “Well yes you jackass, especially since you just stopped me, I am a little sweaty and it is -10.” but instead I answer, “Well, it isn’t too bad – if you keep moving.”

Hint. F-ing. Hint.

“Huh. Kind of cold for a run. I didn’t even want to go to my car this morning.”

“Yeah. No kidding.”

“What? Brr..” Widow rolls up a little, he reaches over and cranks the heat up a notch.

The chill must have been getting to him. “Why are you out here?”

I am obviously dealing with a genius here.

Pulling down my balaclava again and say, “I am training for a triathlon. It’s cold. I should keep moving,” I start to run off (again), sure I have ditched this guy.

The car keeps rolling with me as I run.

Are you serious?

”OH!” he says, “Well…good luck! WAIT! What is a triathlon? When is it? ”

“August. Swim. Bike. Run. Ironman.” I reply, still moving.

Big, empty stare and silence as I run away, free at last from the well-meaning neighbor. I hear the car catching back up to me, and slowing as it neared.

You have got to be kidding me.

“Why are you running now? You know it is January, right?”

I stop, dumbfounded, not really wanting to take the time to answer him.

“I don’t understand why you are out here in this terrible weather training for a race that is 8 months away.”

Smiling, I answer, “Because it is fun.”

Head shaking, he looks at me one last time, this time with the “she is definitely crazy” eyes and finally drives away.

This entry was posted in running and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Reloaded: Hey! I Am Running Here!

1. Yup you are crazy but not for racing a triathlon but for not telling the guy to go fly a kite.

Can you just write a ton or posts right now and schedule them? I miss reading about the life and times of Caratunk Girl. Even if the post is just: lkajsdfja;fdjk

I’ll take it. Thanks.
    Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race recently posted..Stonebridge Half-Marathon Race ReportMy Profile

2. Ditto Jason. I miss your posts too.
    Michelle bouchard recently posted..Rabbit Stew?My Profile

Hahaha… you should have answered “because I’m a badass”. :)

4. Sharpie says:

OMG, I love this! Hint. F’ing hint.

Love it.
    Sharpie recently posted..Really?My Profile

Did you have mittens on? What stopped you from flicking him off and running haha?!
    Matt Oravec recently posted..Metric Century and Weekend RecapMy Profile

6. Heather O says:

Awesome! Haha! You always have the best stories!

7. Rae says:

ahh hilarious! I went through similar issues training last year for National Marathon, but the cowboys up here just like to try to scrae me with their pickups by driving reeealllly close to the white line or over in the snow. ugh.
    Rae recently posted..Lock and LoadMy Profile

8. Kovas says:

Loved this the first time, still cracks me up!
    Kovas recently posted..Tuesday Tasting: Wildfire Restaurant White Wine FlightMy Profile

Reminds me of a guy who started talking to me at a gas station last year in the middle of a bike ride….

“Do you get paid to do this” he asked?

I tried not to laugh.

179
    Kevin recently posted..Tutorial Tuesday: Chain & CassetteMy Profile

10. Sharpie says:

You should run with your middle finger permanently UP.

xo
    Sharpie recently posted..When Time Stands StillMy Profile

I totally remember this one!!!!! Love it.
    Molly recently posted..My week so far.My Profile

I love this!! When I run outside it’s usually in nice weather. apparently people honk at me as they drive by but I don’t notice because i have my headphones on. They say ‘didn’t you see me?’. Um no sorry… thank GOD they don’t stop.
    adena recently posted..Play it again..My Profile

13. hint.f*ing.hint.

you are too nice :)
    MilesMusclesMom recently posted..Hair Today, Gone TomorrowMy Profile

Many persons don’t understand that the runners are a special race.
    Black Knight recently posted..FailureMy Profile