Now what?

So…this will come as no surprise to anyone who has read this blog over the past 2 years…

I haven't been into blogging lately.

I know when I first started blogging, things were so new and exciting for me…the people who comment on and read my blog are my motivators because I feel very alone in training here in the big city of Caratunk (Population 60) whose favorite pastime is drinking beer on the couch (or at the bar) watching football (or basketball..or…)

Caratunk pastime

But who the hell am I kidding, endurance sports are really a solitary thing, so when I chose this I kind of thing, I choose to be alone. But this blog really helped me with my training, and your comments make me feel less alone anyway.

Plus, it is fun for me to talk about and share this awesome, rugged, beautiful place that I live.

When I got started, triathlon was like the new puppy I just couldn't stop playing with, talking about, and taking pictures of. I wanted to try every distance, do as many races as possible, go go go!

Now, I still love triathlon, but it isn't this shiny new thing to me. And my real love is the outdoors…I really like training because it keeps me in shape to hike, bike, ski, and generally play outside. This summer I have been a lot more interested in playing outside and doing family stuff.

Plus, let's be honest here, I haven't been training. At all. And I've been eating like crap.

Double whammy.

Remember this guy?

Plus, I bagged out on two really big races this season, which I would be a liar if I didn't say I felt a little loserish over. Especially after reading what THIS guy did without training… (really, read the story its a good one).

A year ago, a month after IMLP, I was in the best shape of my life, happier than I have ever been, and now…well, I'm just not. I really am that dog that needs a good romp every day or he/she gets depressed.

Did you say ROMP?

So I guess it is time to get my head out of my ass and start training again.

I'm not saying for what. For now let's just call it training for getting back in shape to do something cool.

And getting back to blogging a little more about the fun stuff I do here (training, working, and playing).

But FIRST I'm going to take Matty O, Heather O, and Jason down the river. I am so excited they are coming up here I hope they have a blast! I will give a full report on the shenanigans later this week!

This entry was posted in 10 Random Things, random. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Now what?

1. I am so glad you are back! I have been waiting for posts, and they were few and far between! You were one of my first blogs that I ever read, and you certainly were an inspiration to my finally getting fit. I so wish I had said something to you at Jimmys market that day so I could have picked your brain a bit! :( But if I get up to Caratunk, I am going to find you.. hahhaha.. :) Happy Training! Weez
    Louise Cunningham recently posted..Mezamashii Run Project by MizunoMy Profile

Good for your for finding some motivation! I haven’t blogged in forever, but that’ll change NOW! You’re getting back into it, so I must too. Have fun with Matty O and Heather. That sounds like a blast!
    Matt Smith recently posted..Oh Baby, Baby!My Profile

You know… we aren’t going anywhere. We still check in and get excited if there is a blog from you on google reader. But we’d never think you are failing us! :)

I think the time “off” will be good for you next year. In the meantime, have fun with the Oravec’s and Jason today. :)

I second what Colleen said, we all get excited to see your post.

I had this conversation with a friend this year, we are no longer wide eyed rookies, we are seasoned veterans in this sport, the sport is shiny anymore, but it still has us coming back for more, the “more” is different for everyone, some want to get faster, some want to start doing desitnation races, some just want to give back to the sport, once a triathlete, always a triathlete.

Although, I am curious of what your “something cool” is? So am I, email and we can swap coolness! HA!

5. Glenn Jones says:

I feel your pain! I’m back to training again – but it’s not racing that has motivated me. It’s two years of crappy eating. Well, not crappy eating, just too much good eating, lol. Best of luck Mandy.
    Glenn Jones recently posted..Hello Old FriendsMy Profile

Hope you guys have a blast on the river!

I like how you described tris being like a new puppy — very true statement right there.

I’ve found over the 4 years of this sport that I no longer need motivation to do the work b/c it is just what I do. No different then getting up in the morning for work or going to church on Sundays (for some people). It is just who we are and what we do. BUT, just like work, we sometimes need a vacation, yours is officially over! Now get back to it, stat.
    Jeff recently posted..Ironman Mont-Tremblant Nutrition and Predicted TimesMy Profile

7. Natasha says:

Ha! I can totally relate. I go up and down both with training and blogging. Have fun with what you are doing and Happy Training!
    Natasha recently posted..Cooking Frenzy and a little bit of training..My Profile

As discussed, more training, less sloth (oh wait, that’s me), definitely more fun and more blogging. :-) Just keep that smile on your face, no matter what you do (or don’t do), we love you.

Can’t wait for the rafting report with the O’s and Jason!
    adena recently posted..#IMMT ReportMy Profile

9. I am reading this and thinking to myself when in the world did you type this post and then at the end I see it was before we got there. You are one talented gal.

After spending 3 hours in the car with you yesterday I will say that you are ready to take on your next challenge. It is going to be wonderful to see you getting at it, but I will say that while triathlon is your lifestyle it is not your life and nor should it be. It needs to be a part of what you do and trust me when I say that I will be fired up to read what you are doing.

Thank you for the ride and for the time on the raft. That was such a blast and the perfect way to recover from the race.
    Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race recently posted..Rev3 Maine Race ReportMy Profile

10. Regina says:

Preaching to the choir, girl. Its like I was hearing myself speak. I decided to just “train” as a lifestyle. I’ve always been active, but triathlon gave me some new stuff to do. I like the training; I hate the racing. I think I’ll be sticking to short course stuff if I decide to race in the future. Although I do like long rides, hate long runs and would love to work on improving my swimming for the hell of it.

I have to say, I’m so much happier. Some people thrive on competition, not me. I thrive on just being active. I’ve also been eating better (except or the beer, I love a cold one every once in awhile). As for my blog…….well…….

Keep me posted if you come to NY. Hope you had a blast with Jason and the others.

11. Bob says:

Dang, no river trips for the Shuler family last year..
    Get back to it…. I know your Caratunk options are drink, eat and be slobby or swim, bike, run and be merry.
    CDA next year……
    Bob recently posted..Bree Wee…. Ironman champion!!My Profile

Great analogy! I feel like I’ve dropped off the blogging radar a bit now that triathlon & Ironman aren’t shiny and new any more.

Looking forward to seeing more of your fun outdoorsy adventures!
    Anne-Marie recently posted..AquaGear Swim Shop & Finis Swimmer’s Snorkel Product ReviewMy Profile

13. Rae says:

TOTALLY feel you. One month post IMLP I was on top of the world. in shape. Kickin butt. Two years later (and ten pounds more)….Im more…..yeah, I do that triathlon thing. Oh wait, you want me to race? WHAT? Hang in there, girl. And keep blogging….I love your voice!

Yep. Totally agree with you. I started my blog to track my training and it morphed into a way to meet new people (something I never expected). I feel like now that I have met a crap ton of awesome people (yep, you are included in that crap ton) and now we communicate through other ways (FB, email, phone, in person, smoke signals, carrier pigeon). I still enjoy blogging, but I just seem to have less and less to talk about. Even with my race reports this time around, most of my readers already know how my race went.

I seriously think you need a video camera and you can just video blog the Caratunk Comedy Hour. Porter can open for you. :)
    Kevin recently posted..Race Report: Ironman Mont-Tremblant – BikeMy Profile