As Young As You Feel…

My grandmother is 87 years old and she said to me one day a few weeks ago, “What’s the river you raft on like?  I wish I could see it sometime…”

Which gave me an idea to take her down the lower Kennebec Gorge…that with John’s help we brought together into a very cool reality this weekend.

Gram Rafting, Maine, Whitewater, Kennebec River

Ready to go!

I totally want to be like her when I grow up.

The thing I was most worried about (besides the weather) was getting her down the Carry Brook stairs…they are steep, long (120 stairs – great workout BTW to run them), and VERY slippery when wet.

She went down them like a pro. I could barely keep up with her!

Gram Rafting, Maine, Whitewater, Kennebec River

120 steps down into the gorge...

Mom, Gram and I sat and watched the water come up into Carry Brook (the Kennebec River is dam released and has scheduled releases).

My grandmother kept smiling and smiling, she said she couldn’t beleive how beautiful it was, and that she couldn’t believe she was there.

Before long, John came rowing around the corner to pick us up.

Gram Rafting, Maine, Whitewater, Kennebec River

Mom, Gram, and John sharing a laugh...

Gram Rafting, Maine, Whitewater, Kennebec River

Gram, John, and me

It was pretty freaking awesome. She even got to see a bald eagle flying down the river – which, while not and uncommon sight here, is always an awesome thing to see.

I didn’t get a picture of that. I kind of suck at taking pictures of birds because I usually am gawking at them.

As we approached the end, my grandmother said she wished that she didn’t have to get out yet…John and I looked at each other and made a quick plan for an alternate take-out that would give her a couple more miles of floating.

I jumped out so I could shuffle some vehicles, and they went off down the river.

Gram Rafting, Maine, Whitewater, Kennebec River

Let's go another couple of miles!

I met them a few miles downstream and after Mom and Gram got changed and John and I moved some gear around we went out to lunch at my gram’s (and my) favorite place to watch a sunset or grab some food in The Forks, The Hawks Nest.

14 Responses to As Young As You Feel…

1. Beth says:

And THAT is how I want to be when I’m 87. Its cool that you’re able to show her things like that!
    Beth recently posted..Three Things FridayMy Profile

When I come to Caratunk we are totally going rafting with mom and Grandma. Looks more my speed than what you did with Jason and The O’s. haha

This may be my favourite post ever.. xoxoxoxo

3. Katie says:

I officially love your grandma. Oh, and Caratunk.

4. Natasha says:

That is so awesome! I’m so glad you were able to do that for her sounds like everyone had a blast!
    Natasha recently posted..Cautiously Audacious: Shop Cautiously AudaciousMy Profile

5. Wow, that is so wonderful. I also have an 87 year old grandmother (and another that is 92) and neither one of them could do that. Fantastic!
    Carolina John recently posted..The Totals, The Race, The Trail and The BikeMy Profile

6. Heather Sylvester says:

It was so awesome to see her in your raft!!!! She is such an inspiration and my friends were in total awe of this 80 something year old woman going rafting, LOL!!!! She looked like a kid on Christmas Morning when you guy were pulling out of Carrybrook :)

Mandy… this is something that you will NEVER forget!!! :)

This is SO awesome — so glad you were able to plan it! I love how your grandma wanted to keep going at the end!
    Anne-Marie recently posted..AquaGear Swim Shop & Finis Swimmer’s Snorkel Product ReviewMy Profile

What an awesome trip! You’re grandma looks like such an incredible person, and I’m glad y’all got to spend such quality time together. Rafting is so much fun!
    Matt Smith recently posted..I’m Back!!!My Profile

10. You officially have me goosebumps. My grandmother is 90 years young, and it sounds like she and your grandma would get along!

11. You officially gave me goosebumps. My grandmother is 90 years young, and it sounds like she and your grandma would get along!

12. Absolutely fantastic – that you are such a caring granddaughter, your mom didn’t try to shush this trip out of existance and your grandmother is such a fireball that she was up for it all (and more). Absolutely classic! I’m sure these pictures and memories will fill you with smiles for many years to come.
    TriMOEngr (Christina) recently posted..Slacker – sort ofMy Profile

13. Cori Paton says:

That made me cry! In a good way. What a great granddaughter you are to make that all happen for her. And what an awesome grandmother she is for being so interested and involved in your life. An experience neither of you will ever forget!

14. krista says:

Love, love, love it! What a fantastic day for everyone.