Sooo…Now What?

That’s a great question.

I was pretty sure that 2014 was going to be another Ironman year for me…but I see what my work schedule is going to be like for the next 10 months and…well I do not see it happening.

Some people who don’t know what a forester does think I skip around the woods all day with my dog talking to birds and deer like Snow White, but it isn’t like that at all.

I am not complaining – it is just how it is.

At first, I was really bummed…I wanted to come back blazing and ready to hit it hard.  I was ready to take on a coach and build early and work on my bike and really have an amazing Ironman year…But…

Then I started having to leave my house at 4:30am for work.  I wasn’t getting home until 7pm.  The only thing I was hitting hard was my pillow at the end of the day.

I mean I GUESS if I really wanted it, I would get up at like 2:45am, get an hour in before work…or I could get home at 7pm and get an hour in and eat and talk to John and pat Porter on the head as I fall asleep.

It is times like these that motivational quotes really piss me off.

When I see someone post a quote like “Someone busier than you is running right now” or “If you want it you will find a way, if you don’t, you will find an excuse,” I want to throw my laptop/iPad/iPhone across the room and scream.

Anyway, moving on…What can I do that make sense and can fit into my schedule?

I feel that my on my feet fitness is pretty good, I am always walking in the woods for my job, walking my dog after work, hiking in my spare time.

Trail running.

It is almost a no-brainer for me.

This will let me spend more time with this guy:

Maine, hike, Moxie Bald Mountain, Appalachian Trail, AT, Bernese Mountain Dog

Porter doing his Mountain Dog thing

AND…I can spend more time running trails that take me to places with views like these, places that really fills me with happiness and wholeness and makes me smile:

Maine, hike, Moxie Bald Mountain, Appalachian Trail, AT, Bernese Mountain Dog

Mosquito Mountain from Moxie Bald Mountain

Maine, hike, Moxie Bald Mountain, Appalachian Trail, AT, Bernese Mountain Dog

Bald Mountain Pond from Moxie Bald Mountain

So while I don’t have a schedule planned or any races picked out, I feel pretty good about the upcoming season of racing.  It actually feels pretty good to be looking at something completely new and different.

Thanks for reading!

This entry was posted in hike, running, training and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Sooo…Now What?

When I see someone post a quote like “Someone busier than you is running right now” or “If you want it you will find a way, if you don’t, you will find an excuse,” I want to throw my laptop/iPad/iPhone across the room and scream.
    ^^^^THIS!

Wait… so you don’t skip around the woods like Snow White? Now I have NO idea what you do ;)

You can join me in the no-IM 2014. Come to IMWI 2015 with me though!!
    Kevin recently posted..Race Report: XTerra Grand RapidsMy Profile

2. Maria Simone says:

Trail running – exactly! Perfect solution. :)

Don’t be disheartened, Mandy. Trail running is much cooler than IM anyway. And, a perfect complement to your job!

You can do your hiking during the week with work, and then run on the weekend. Problem solved. :)
    Maria Simone recently posted..Yes, running hurts, but it’s just painMy Profile

3. JethroElfman says:

You’re positive you can’t shorten the commute? That’s really too bad, but you’re right, insisting on an hour a day workout on top isn’t necessary. You might try a 70.3 just for the change of pace. Can’t let that bike rust out. I’m targeting IMWI 2015 too. I’ve already booked Sept 2014 off work to go earn the entry.
    JethroElfman recently posted..Running in the fallMy Profile

4. Just write your own motivational quotes:

Somebody with a job that keeps them busy from sun-up to sun-down isn’t training for an Ironman so that they can keep their friends and family.

Sooooo with the time off can I expect a person full of awesome visiting TCoTX next year? Maybe you can come to Chattanooga and watch me put mybbodybthrougj the grinder then share pancakes and waffles afterwards.
    Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race recently posted..ICC (Ironman Chattanooga Challenge) – Week 1My Profile

5. I am nearly certain this will be my exact path in a year. My first IM in 2014, with plans to stick with small tris for fun, but move into trail ultras. With your work and that awesome dog, I picture you as a trail runner anyway.

6. errr ya 2:45 am would just make me an awful person. I like the idea of year just enjoying the bleep out of where you are!!
    Amanda @runtothefinish recently posted..Finish Strong…don’t stop with time on the clockMy Profile

7. I know you don’t skip around the woods all day with your dog talking to birds and deer like Snow White.

You do it when it is dark out. And to Moose, not deer.
    The Rock Star recently posted..Trigger for MotivationMy Profile

I’m so with you on the motivational quotes bs. I don’t need to read them either!

Tom and I were just talking about what you do on a daily basis. :) I probably don’t know nearly enough about your job, but I definitely know that you work your ass off! :)

Trail running in Maine has got to be exceptional! Maybe I need to come out there and have a run clinic with you – aka, run a little, explore, snuggle with the pup, hang out with you!

9. Beth says:

Seems like a great fit, Ironman will always be there later if you want to come back. After Ironman Canada I plan to switch to just trail running for a while, it seems so peaceful and simple =)
    Beth recently posted..In NovemberMy Profile

10. John Newman says:

A friend of mine does and IM every other year. He has been doing it for a decade and it really works for him. I wish I had a job where I was more active, but for the most part, I am a desk-jockey!

Enjoy the less structured time while you can.
    John Newman recently posted..Thankful Thursday #3My Profile

11. Alisa says:

I actually enjoy a motivational quote here or there but I suppose I do better with single words and then letting my mind wander.

The great thing about IM is that it isn’t going anywhere, in fact it seems like they are only adding races. I have no doubt you’ll be back in action in 2015, maybe I”ll see you at a race.

I also think that it might not be a bad thing to take some time away from IM, especially if you know you wouldn’t be able to give it your all. It’s not like you’ll forget how to swim or bike LOL.