Teresa from Tri-A-Licious tagged me to list 10 random things about myself, so here goes…
10 Random Things About Me
1. My dog, Bailey, is my best buddy.
3. I didn’t learn to ride a bike until I was 33. Yeah, I know, weird right?
4. Flying really freaks me out, but I love to travel and see new places, so I do it anyway.
5. My friends think I like to do everything alone. That is not true. I just like to do things that my friends are uninterested in (at least, you all say no when I ask if you want to go on a 70 mile bike ride), and the fact that no one else wants to come along just doesn’t stop me from going.
6. If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life, it would be pizza.
7. I have a few friends who always describe me as tough – I don’t think I have earned that designation. Stubborn, independent, and refusing to give up? Yeah, you got me there. But not tough. You want to see tough?
Check out Harriet Anderson. This is one tough cookie. She finished the Ironman World Championships in Kona after a bike crash where she broke her clavicle. She is 74, and was the oldest woman to cross the finish line. I am a soft chewy cookie crumb compared to her.
8. I am an avid reader, a geek, a book worm. I need to read before I go to bed. The last book I read was Child 44. I am reading New York, The Novel right now, along with about 5 different triathlon books.
9. I was completely unprepared for my first triathlon. It was a real kick in the pants for me, and I fell in love with the sport. I made a promise to myself that I would never be that unfit again. Also I made a note to look for photographers next time because if you don’t know they are there, you get the most unflattering pictures. You will have to trust me on that, I would rather drink bleach than post those pictures here.
10. There was a time, not so long ago, that I hated running. It happened after running my 4th and most recent marathon (2008), an event that I wistfully call “The Goofy Challenge Debacle“. Someday, I will write about it in humorous detail, and you will all laugh and shake your head at my bravado (ie-stupidity). The good news is (my voice is dripping with sarcasm about this being good news), I am on the Disney Marathon video for that year, staggering over the finish line like a zombie. I am back on the horse though, ready to face my demons and maybe even PR at the Sugarloaf Marathon in just 9 short weeks!