- Wow, this has been a busy week, I can’t believe it is Thursday already! I am off for a ride and swim today, and a big ride of the Timberman course tomorrow followed by one loop of the run course. Should be good – leg, don’t fail me now!
- I need a new bike tire, stat. I patched the one that I cut at the LADU, but I want to get something on there I am not worried about. Given the fact that the closest bike shop is 80 miles away, this probably won’t happen until after I ride the 56 miles of the Timberman course tomorrow.
- I really wanted to buy a Cannondale Slice earlier this week – it was $1500. BUT I made a rule that I must pay off my truck before I can buy a new bike, but man, it was a nice bike.
- I miss ice cream. I have lost 5 lbs. I still miss ice cream.
- Is it just me or does the butt head level of drivers passing you while you are biking increase exponentially with the approach of August? See Matty O’s blog for a great story along those lines.
- Patrick from The Road has teamed up with his buddy Big Daddy Riley to start a performance athletic apparel company, the Endurance Athlete Project.
There is something about Bailey….
Something non-triathlon related, but it is a big thing happening for me right now. One of the reasons I have been quiet this week in the blog world.
My boy Bailey has been sick this week.
He couldn’t eat or drink – he wanted to, but just couldn’t seem to swallow. As soon as I noticed it, I called the vet and made an appointment at their earliest time, which was yesterday (24 hours after my call). The stress of this was compounded by the fact that he woke up yesterday and couldn’t put any weight on his right back leg. He was my little hop-along cassidy until he got too tired for the 3 legged hop.
Once at the vets, he looked miserable, and he couldn’t get himself out of the car, and couldn’t hold himself up once I got him out. This was heartbreaking for me, I think I had a flash of what a bad day in the future might be like or something, because it hit me square in the chest…
Since he couldn’t walk, I had to carry him up the stairs into the vets office, tears streaming down my face. I kept wiping my face on his back, trying to smile, think positive. I just had never seen him that weak before.
The vet techs were all very surprised to see a 5’1″ girl carrying a 89 pound dog through the door. They also mentioned next time I could get one of them first and they would be happy to help me.
Anyway, long story short, we still do not know what is wrong, except to say that a shot of steroids yesterday has allowed him to walk like his old self. The options as to what the problem might be are not really good ones, but some are better than others. We are awaiting some further tests to figure it out since it isn’t something obvious. He even ate some scrambled eggs and drank some water today.
So I am hopeful.
I am driving to Gilford, NH tomorrow and back the same day, leaving Bailey in the capable hands of either my boyfriend John or my dad, both of whom can take him to work with them.
Lunch time ride, here I come!